Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Security or Being Grounded?

long time no see. a lot of nonsense has happened since the last time we talked. The Giants won the super bowl, El Salvador beat USA in beach soccer, Whitney Houston died and Peace Corps El Salvador is caving in on itself.  There is a lot of information to cover so I will try to be clear and concise.

First: Peace Corps came out with the news that they would not be sending more volunteers to El Salvador.
Second: All Volunteers were put on a travel restriction, meaning:A.. no going to the capital, San Salvador. B.. no taking our personal health days.  C.. required to call supervisors anytime we leave our immediate community (sound like high school?)
Third: All Peace Corps Volunteers in the world were notified that they will not be allowed to travel to Guatemala, Mexico, El Salvador or Honduras while they are sworn in as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Pertains mostly to Latin American Volunteers.
Fourth:  Two groups of volunteers will have their close-of-service date moved up.  One group will only be moved up 3 months while the other group is being moved up 6 months.
Fifth: Well, that pretty much sums up most of it.  We had a All Volunteer Conference where they told us there will be a security assessment for El Salvador where a Security Team from Peace Corps Washington will assess the situation and propose a transportation and volunteer grouping plan to ensure our safety and security and take away any chance to get to know the country that we are serving in.

My training group of 15 is now down to 10 people.  The number may drop down more after the security assessment is finished and people are forced to move sites to join the volunteer groupings.  Speaking of site change...I am currently in the middle of having my site changed.  It was a really difficult decision, but after much thought I found it to be the best option in lieu of recent incidents in my pueblo and surrounding area.  I felt like if I am going to be staying in El Salvador it would be nice to be able to walk around my hometown not being nervous.  There was always new people coming through the pueblo and although i had a tight group of friends and was well known through the pueblo I still felt singled out by people passing through.  I spent the weekend saying goodbye to the families and friends that I connected with more.  I was put on the edge of tears multiple times. In front of the high school kids, my best friend, and various families that cried when saying goodbye.  I really hope i made the right decision and I hope that I will be able to visit in the future and show them that I really did value their friendship.

For now, I will be living with my friend Tyler (another volunteer in San Miguel) for about a month and a half until the security assessment is over and I am given a new site.  I will have to put together a short term work plan with he school.  I have some art classes in mind and maybe work with a youth group and have them do some activities.  Nothing serious since I wont be there too long.

Time to enjoy my own company on Valentines day.  I hope I pay for dinner for myself.  I am kind of nervous for my date.

Peace Out Party People

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment