Monday, July 18, 2011

Coast to Coast

Just finished having a nice cup of tea with the Obama family, I thought I would drop a quick post on my action packed Monday.  Mom and Dad dropped me off at the airport far too early this morning, I mean I was on time for my flight, but I'm really not a morning person.  After transferring planes in Chicago, we sat on the tarmac for over 45 mins due to a storm crossing our path to DC.  The American Airlines jet we were boarded on was an older model that had a sub-par air conditioning unit and the jet soon turned into a giant hot dog that just came off the BBQ.  Everyone was a little on edge after baking on the runway.  Finally I arrived in DC strapped with my bags I flagged down a taxi.  The cab driver wove to me, popped the trunk and watched me load my bags by myself, I guess he didn't want a tip that bad.  I get all checked in to my room around 6:45 pm and decide to trek it to the White House while there was still daylight.  Its about 92 degrees here and a lot more humid than Carlsbad.  I was strapped with a backpack containing some essentials; map, water, camera, SURFER magazine.  Before making the 6 blocks to the White House my back already began to drip sweat and by the time I got to the Lincoln Memorial the back of my shirt had soaked through the padding on my backpack.  I ended up seeing the Washington Monument, White House, Lincoln Memorial, WWII memorial, Vietnam memorial, and a couple other cool looking buildings. I took the time to sit down and read through Lincolns speeches that were plastered on the interior walls of the giant structure. Feeling pretty inspired and damn proud to be an American.
On the cab drive to the hotel I was glued to the window peering out at the buzzing streets, DC is like no city I have ever been too. I was very excited to be able to cruise around at my own will and explore its sights and sounds. Here are some pictures of my scenic tour:

WWII memorial...

Looking across the WWII memorial at the Washington monument...

Honest Abe winning the staring contest with all the tourists...

Casa Blanca...

1 comment:

  1. CORY!!!! Very excited for you. And am so looking forward to following your adventure. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete