Friday, September 23, 2011

Bien Ocupado

Sup sup sup,

So i just got out of the first meeting of the womens group in the community.  They selected the name: Mujeres, la esperanza del futuro (Women, the hope of the future).  It was a very successful meeting where they selected their directive and brainstormed in possible projects to do in the future. I introduced myself and asked if i could be a part of their group to support them and observe their meetings.  It was a great experience and i think im lucky i got to be their in the beginning. I hope i can end up working with the Esperanzas.

Anyways, my life is busy busy this first week and time is just flying already.
Things are just falling into my lap. Let´s recap:

-went to an inauguration for a recycle/trash management facility with the mayor´s office. President of El Salvador didn´t show up. typical.
-visited the high school and made a fool of myself in front of the whole school on the loud speaker. Best way to make friends.
-got invited to a nearby canton with some high school students.
-walk the pueblo every night after dinner and talk to Don Tito, Don Tino, Don Juan, Don Angel, Dona Marie, and everyone else and their mothers.
-got invited to eat pupusas on Saturday with Don Juan and his family
-going to the river Saturday with Javier and other people
-taught kids how to play chess and ping pong
-going to a meeting Monday at the Health Center
-going to the middle school Monday to make a fool of myself in front of more kids
-going to Chalatenango the city on Tuesday
-got invited to the Mayors house for dinner or lunch one day
-invited to another house for dinner
-invited to visit family in a nearby canton
-making house visits with Don Roberto and Don Juan Wednesday to listen to stories from the elders

and lots more that I can´t remember right now.

Things that I do now that I didn´t do in the states:
-wash with a bucket
-say grace before every meal
-wake up before 8 am
-speak spanish
-play soccer
-walk around the neighborhood at night
-eat squash
-eat my cereal with boiling milk
-sleep in a mosquito net
-live with cats instead of dogs (not by choice)
-wear a collared shirt everyday

Well, thats jsut a little taste of my life right now. Hope everything is tranquilo in the states yall.  Catch ya later.

Chusito.

No comments:

Post a Comment