Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Family Fiesta and Swearing In

Hola todos y todas,

Que ondas? So I am chilling in my new community, and it is b-e-a-utiful. I am surrounded by hills and mountains that glow with every shade of green.  My pueblo is pretty darn big, not gonna lie, very intimidating.  The first few days I was in a daze of confusion not knowing where or how to begin my process of integrating.  Slowly things began to come together.  Sunday, my host brother (Javier, also a high school english teacher), took a walk around the community and met several people, including Don Juan.  Don Juan works at the Alcaldia (mayors office) and it was an immediate in.  Next thing I know I am invited to an Alcaldia meeting, invited to an inaugration of a trash management facility where the president of El Salvador will be, invited to eat pupusas with his family and also the mayor personally opened his home up to me for any reason (eat, sleep, talk, business).  I am starting to feel at home.

Today I met with the director of the Casa de cultura, Don Roberto, he is such a nice guy and made me feel even more at home after walking around with him.  I met more important people and got invited to a women´s group meeting.  The kids at the school invited me to their cantone for a day, the janitor invited me to work in the campo with him on the weekend.  Things are looking up.

Taking a jump back to the family fiesta and swearing in.  I was nominated by the other trainees to be the grandmaster of games.  It was a great test of my spanish in front of all the host families.  It went really well and Yolanda got a kick out of it.  Swearing in was pretty cool, the US ambassador came and gave a speech.  We nominated Andrew to give a speech as well and he rocked the house.  He had everyone laughing in spanish (jajajajaja).

Here is a handful of pictures of the recent events, I will try to get some of my town and new house.

PS I updated my address, Don Roberto said all packages that get sent to the Casa de Cultura will be received by the Alcaldia and we will be notified.

Eduardo, the man...

Preparing for swearing-in...

Ambassador...

San Esteban Crew...

No comments:

Post a Comment